People who truly love animals can become veterinary technicians. This profession allows them to take care of animals every day at work. Vet techs can do multiple jobs while they assist the veterinarian. They play an important role in medical care, cage and kennel maintenance and lab work. They are also allowed to administer vaccinations and medications, perform clerical duties and even take part in animal surgical procedures.
There are many programs available for individuals who want to become vet techs. They can enroll in community colleges and universities. They may opt for a degree in veterinary technology or a veterinary technician degree. There are many schools all over the country that offer vet tech programs. Unfortunately, they can be quite expensive. With this, people tend to look for other means to fulfill their dreams without having to spend too much. Alternatively, they can enroll in online vet tech programs.
Advantages in Choosing Veterinary Technician Schools Online
- Online vet tech programs allow students to learn at their own pace in their own time. They can even work and study at the same time. Students can choose their preferred time to study. This is great for those who are working for their tuition.
- These programs are typically affordable.
- There are no costly books to buy. Students will only need to pay their tuition, and everything is included.
- There are no stringent GED or a high school diploma requirements in order to qualify for enrollment.
- There is no minimum number of enrollees needed for classes to start. This means that students can start as soon as they are enrolled.
- Online programs are very convenient. All classes and exams are conducted online. Therefore, students don’t have to drive all the way to school to listen to lectures and take exams. They can just sit comfortably at home or anywhere they want.
Drawbacks of Choosing Veterinary Technician Schools Online
- Students should expect that choosing an online program will provide them with limited teacher-student and social interaction. People who choose these programs should understand that they will not have a lot of classmates. They will mostly be studying on their own.
- Students should have an environment that is conducive for learning. Online studying may require them to have peaceful surroundings. However, this will depend on the student. Each person has their own preferences when it comes to studying. People also have different tolerances for noise.
- Online programs for vet techs have flexible schedules. For some people, having this set-up means that there is no pressure at all. There is also a possibility that people will not take it seriously and do other things instead of studying. Again, this depends on the person’s motivation and how eager they are to complete the course.
Online Vet Tech Programs
Associate degree online programs for veterinary technicians are very common. There are also online bachelor’s degree programs, but it is quite difficult to find them.
Associate degree programs are a stepping stone for students who want to become successful veterinary technicians. There are some vet techs that work in animal clinics that only learn through experience. However, people who want to have an edge should undergo proper training.
Most associate degrees for vet techs typically require two years of study. However, online courses will take three to five years to finish. This is because students who usually enroll in online programs prefer to study part-time. Even though they study online, they will also participate in some real-life training in the later part of the course.
Online programs for vet techs are usually run with a virtual content management system. They are designed with chat rooms and message boards to encourage student participation. Depending on student choices, they may take exams at a location approved by the proctor or simply on the website. They will have to perform required procedures under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian during their clinical experience.
In addition, online vet tech students may be required to have a CD or DVD drive aside from an Internet connection and personal computer. Some veterinary technician schools online may require students to record a video while they perform clinical procedures.
Important Factors to Consider When Choosing an Online Vet Tech Program
• Program Accreditation
It is very important that prospective students should ensure that the school they choose has American Veterinary Medical Association accreditation. All online programs should be fully accredited. Otherwise, students will not be allowed to take licensure examinations.
• Licensed and Experienced Instructors
Before enrolling in an online vet tech program, applicants should ensure that the instructors are qualified to teach. They should have first-hand experience related to the course they are teaching. Moreover, online materials should have been prepared by experienced professors.
Traditional vet tech schools generally require a certain number of hours of work in an animal clinic. These vet clinics are usually affiliated with the college. Online schools can set up the practicum for their students. However, they expect students to handle them on their own. As mentioned, they may be required to submit a recorded video while working with a licensed veterinarian. Prospective students should check the online school’s policy before they make their decision.
• Class Participation
Online vet tech programs may offer limited student participation. However, there are some online schools that make sure students can partake in discussions. This is made possible through webinars. Students should watch them and participate by asking questions on a forum. This feature makes online studying more interesting and interactive. People who want to become a vet tech should make sure they choose an online school that provides this media for learning.
• Degree or Diploma
There are many online vet tech programs that only provide students a diploma and not a degree. Getting a diploma alone will not make students eligible for a license. Before enrolling, students should make up their minds about what they really want to accomplish. They should gather reliable information about the veterinary technician schools online to ensure that they are getting into the right program.
Vet Tech Basic Courses
• Animal Anatomy
This course covers animal anatomical structures. Depending on the program, this course may only focus on specific animals like dogs.
• Animal Pharmacology
Students are taught about the drugs that are used to treat animal conditions. They will also be taught about the interaction between the animal’s body and the drug.
• Laboratory Animal Health and Medicine
This course focuses more on animal laboratory settings. With this, students learn about animal diseases and other healthcare issues.
• Small Animal Care
This course covers small animal behavior and proper care. It usually focuses on companion animals such as dogs and cats.
• Large Animal Care
This course deals with large animal health management and psychological processes. It usually focuses more on livestock animals.
Correspondence And Online Vet Tech Programs
(programs change so please check if the particular schools has an option for correspondence/online learning)Matching School AdsTurn your talents into a career. Nationally recognized and accredited Platt College offers degree programs in Graphic Design, Multimedia, IT Networking and Paralegal.
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in NursingLocations: Grand Prairie
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Several nursing programs are available at the bachelor's, post-graduate, master's, and doctoral levels.
- Graduate-level specialization options include Nurse Educator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Administrator, and more.
- Nursing programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Nursing (BS)Locations: Glen Allen
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Medical Assistant
- DIP - Medical AssistantLocations: Richmond
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science: Health ScienceLocations: Hagerstown