Becoming a Vet Tech In Iowa
Becoming a veterinary technician is an increasingly attractive career choice for many individuals. With the growing emphasis on high quality animal care in America, veterinary care is an expanding and well-compensated field.
Because of this, many individuals, whether they are newly graduated job seekers or older individuals seeking to transition to a more rewarding field, have decided to seek out a career as veterinary technicians.
What Does a Vet Tech Do?
A vet tech is a veterinary professional who assists veterinarians in providing high quality care to animals of all types. Depending on the practice and region, a vet tech may find him or herself working on equines, common pets, livestock, or exotic pets such as reptiles and small mammals. In small veterinary clinics, the vet tech may assist a single veterinarian, while large urban clinics may have several vet techs working with a number of different veterinary professionals depending on the day’s schedule.
Most vet techs will perform the following duties in the veterinary practice:
- Assist in the initial physical examination of newly admitted animals.
- Assist the veterinarian before, during and after surgical procedures.
- Monitor the overall health of animals while they are being cared for.
- Administer medications prescribed by the vet. Veterinary technicians will also instruct animal owners in how to administer those medications sent home with the animal.
- When working with frightened or hostile animals, the vet tech will help immobilize the animal without harming it so that the veterinary team can safely treat it.
- Some vet techs will supervise coworkers, including veterinary aides, other vet techs and the clerical staff.
Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Iowa
Iowa does not currently require veterinary technicians to be licensed to practice in the state. However, in order to have the best possible salary and career options it is wise to become a certified vet tech.
Vet Tech Schools
Most veterinary technology programs last two years for a full-time student. In some cases, a program will offer distance learning or part-time options for those students who cannot attend school full-time. This allows students who are working to complete the program at their own pace.
The student should make certain that his or her program is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). This ensures that the program has passed a strict professional evaluation process. In most cases, businesses and government bodies will not accept coursework performed at a non-accredited school.
After completing the program, the graduate must take and pass the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE). The VTNE is a comprehensive exam that evaluates the vet techs skills. It is regularly updated by veterinary professionals to reflect the status of the field of veterinary technology and is accepted by all state licensure boards. A passing score of at least 425 is required for all candidates.
Finally, Iowa candidates must take and pass a written exam, testing the veterinary technician’s understanding of the duties and responsibilities vet techs have under Iowa law. After successfully passing the state exam, the vet tech is eligible to become a registered Iowa Veterinary Technician.
Continuing Education and Registration Renewal
The vet tech must renew his or her license every three years. In addition to the renewal fee, Iowa requires that the vet tech have completed at least 30 hours of approved continuing education (CE).
The Iowa Board of Veterinary Medicine determines what types of material will be approved for the purposes of CE hours, so vet techs who are preparing to renew their registration should consult with the Board when selecting CE courses.
The Benefits of Registration
In addition to the superior career options available to registered Iowa vet techs, being registered may allow the vet tech to practice in other states should he or she choose to do so. In some cases, a state may allow the registered vet tech to be licensed by endorsement, rather than having to repeat the entire process. This can be very important for individuals who expect to leave Iowa for another state at some later point.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) currently estimates that the number of jobs available for veterinary technicians will continue to grow at an above average rate. The field of veterinary technology remains especially promising given Iowa’s mixture or urban and rural regions. Whether the vet tech is working in a clinic that primarily services pet owners, or one that focuses on providing care to livestock and other production animals, Iowa remains an extremely attractive region for those interested in a career in veterinary technology.
Vet Tech Schools In IowaMatching School AdsPenn Foster offers affordable, self-paced career-focused distance education programs in fields like business, criminal justice, health services, technology, engineering, paralegal studies and more.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
Get allied health training with Ross Medical Education Center. We offer programs in dental assisting, medical assisting, medical insurance billing and office administration, and pharmacy tech.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.