Becoming a Vet Tech In Iowa
Becoming a veterinary technician is an increasingly attractive career choice for many individuals. With the growing emphasis on high quality animal care in America, veterinary care is an expanding and well-compensated field.
Because of this, many individuals, whether they are newly graduated job seekers or older individuals seeking to transition to a more rewarding field, have decided to seek out a career as veterinary technicians.
What Does a Vet Tech Do?
A vet tech is a veterinary professional who assists veterinarians in providing high quality care to animals of all types. Depending on the practice and region, a vet tech may find him or herself working on equines, common pets, livestock, or exotic pets such as reptiles and small mammals. In small veterinary clinics, the vet tech may assist a single veterinarian, while large urban clinics may have several vet techs working with a number of different veterinary professionals depending on the day’s schedule.
Most vet techs will perform the following duties in the veterinary practice:
- Assist in the initial physical examination of newly admitted animals.
- Assist the veterinarian before, during and after surgical procedures.
- Monitor the overall health of animals while they are being cared for.
- Administer medications prescribed by the vet. Veterinary technicians will also instruct animal owners in how to administer those medications sent home with the animal.
- When working with frightened or hostile animals, the vet tech will help immobilize the animal without harming it so that the veterinary team can safely treat it.
- Some vet techs will supervise coworkers, including veterinary aides, other vet techs and the clerical staff.
Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Iowa
Iowa does not currently require veterinary technicians to be licensed to practice in the state. However, in order to have the best possible salary and career options it is wise to become a certified vet tech.
Vet Tech Schools
Most veterinary technology programs last two years for a full-time student. In some cases, a program will offer distance learning or part-time options for those students who cannot attend school full-time. This allows students who are working to complete the program at their own pace.
The student should make certain that his or her program is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). This ensures that the program has passed a strict professional evaluation process. In most cases, businesses and government bodies will not accept coursework performed at a non-accredited school.
After completing the program, the graduate must take and pass the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE). The VTNE is a comprehensive exam that evaluates the vet techs skills. It is regularly updated by veterinary professionals to reflect the status of the field of veterinary technology and is accepted by all state licensure boards. A passing score of at least 425 is required for all candidates.
Finally, Iowa candidates must take and pass a written exam, testing the veterinary technician’s understanding of the duties and responsibilities vet techs have under Iowa law. After successfully passing the state exam, the vet tech is eligible to become a registered Iowa Veterinary Technician.
Continuing Education and Registration Renewal
The vet tech must renew his or her license every three years. In addition to the renewal fee, Iowa requires that the vet tech have completed at least 30 hours of approved continuing education (CE).
The Iowa Board of Veterinary Medicine determines what types of material will be approved for the purposes of CE hours, so vet techs who are preparing to renew their registration should consult with the Board when selecting CE courses.
The Benefits of Registration
In addition to the superior career options available to registered Iowa vet techs, being registered may allow the vet tech to practice in other states should he or she choose to do so. In some cases, a state may allow the registered vet tech to be licensed by endorsement, rather than having to repeat the entire process. This can be very important for individuals who expect to leave Iowa for another state at some later point.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) currently estimates that the number of jobs available for veterinary technicians will continue to grow at an above average rate. The field of veterinary technology remains especially promising given Iowa’s mixture or urban and rural regions. Whether the vet tech is working in a clinic that primarily services pet owners, or one that focuses on providing care to livestock and other production animals, Iowa remains an extremely attractive region for those interested in a career in veterinary technology.
Vet Tech Schools In IowaMatching School Ads
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Get allied health training with Ross Medical Education Center. We offer programs in dental assisting, medical assisting, medical insurance billing and office administration, and pharmacy tech.
- Medical AssistantLocations: Bettendorf
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare ManagementPursue your education at Ohio Christian University. Take classes online or on campus. Pursue your degree to help you start the career you want. Learn more now.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education