Veterinary technicians in Louisiana are a vital component of the state’s veterinary care sector, which is a rapidly expanding part of the economy.
In addition to the traditional demand for veterinary practices to treat private pets, the state also has a large farming and production animal sector, as well as a number of government agencies that require registered veterinary technicians. Because of this, the employment options for vet techs in Louisiana are extremely promising.
Becoming a Registered Vet Tech in Louisiana
Louisiana requires that any vet tech who wishes to practice in the state be registered by the Louisiana Board of Veterinary Medicine (LBVM). This organization requires the following items before it will allow a vet tech to become registered to practice in the state:
- Proof of graduation from an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited veterinary technology program.
- Proof of successfully passing the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE).
- At least two letters attesting to the candidate’s moral and professional character, taken from the references he or she lists on the application form.
Veterinary Technician and Technologist Programs
Most vet tech programs are two-year programs, although part-time and distance-learning programs may take longer in order to accommodate the student’s schedule. In most cases, vet tech programs include the following subjects:
- Basic first aid and emergency care for animals.
- Treatment techniques for different animal breeds.
- How to assist the veterinarian during surgical procedures.
- How to take blood and other samples and prepare them for laboratory testing.
- Public Animal health.
- Pharmacology, especially as relating to administering drugs under the supervision of a veterinarian.
Students should ensure that their program is an AVMA accredited program in good standing. The AVMA ensures that any program it accredits maintains the highest professional standards. Most importantly, the LBVM will not accept classes from unaccredited programs.
Additionally, many vet tech programs offer part-time and distance learning courses. These courses can allow students who are currently working to complete the program without having to leave their current job. In addition, online classes can allow students with limited mobility to complete a large portion of the program on their own pace while working from home.
Passing the VTNE
The VTNE is a comprehensive exam that is administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB). The AAVSB regularly updates the test material to ensure that the exam covers all aspects of the veterinary technician’s duties.
In order to pass the VTNE, the candidate must score at least 425 on the test. While it is possible to retake the test, the candidate should only take the test when he or she is confident of passing it. In addition to having to pay the test fee every time the test is retaken, the AAVSB can require that the student show proof of progress before allowing them to retake the exam.
Once these two steps are completed and the application filled out with the required letters of recommendation, the individual can become a registered veterinary technician in Louisiana. At that point, the registered veterinary technician (RVT) can seek out employment in Louisiana, as well as identifying themselves as a RVT.
Registered Vet Techs and the LBVM
The LBVM requires vet techs to renew their registration every year. In addition to the renewal fee, the vet tech must also provide at least 10 hours of approved continuing education. Because the LBVM will determine what type of continuing education is acceptable, the vet tech should make certain to ensure that his or her continuing education units meet with the LBVM’s approval before the renewal deadline.
The Vet Tech Career
Louisiana has a number of excellent employment opportunities for vet techs. With a growing urban and rural veterinary care sector, vet techs can find a rewarding career treating the beloved companion animals of their fellow citizens. Whether as a part of a small clinic or a major veterinary hospital, the vet tech can expect to be well regarded by the public and his or her fellow workers alike.
In addition, there are a wide variety of government and business opportunities for registered vet techs, including production animal care and wildlife management. Finally, vet techs can also find employment in zoos, animal breeding businesses and research establishments.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has determined that veterinary technology is a rapidly expanding field, with excellent salary levels when compared to similar professions. By choosing to become a vet tech, whether as a newly graduated student or an older worker seeking to transition to a new field, the individual has entered a personally and professionally rewarding field.
Vet Tech And Vet Assistant Schools In LouisianaMatching School Ads
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Master of Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Science
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing PracticeAnimal Behavior College offers affordable, flexible programs for busy professionals interested in animal careers. We offer hands-on experience in over 400 locations nationwide.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College offers a complete learning experience for busy adults looking to advance their education around their schedule. With Penn Foster College, you can earn your degree or undergraduate certificate online and at a pace that’s right for you.
Here’s why thousands of students have chosen Penn Foster College:
• Accreditation —Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- Veterinary Technician (Associate)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - DiplomaLocations: Alexandria