Becoming a Vet Tech In Montana.
The growing importance of animal care has resulted in an increased focus on providing effective veterinary care for animals of all types. Montana is one state where the wide variety of animal care needs, ranging from production animals and livestock to common and exotic pets, demands highly skilled and qualified veterinary professionals.
Career Opportunities for Veterinary Technicians in Montana
Montana is a state with a wide range of urban and rural job opportunities for qualified veterinary technicians. The state’s economy has large farming and ranching sectors, which require extensive veterinary support. In addition, there is a high level of demand for qualified veterinary care for family pets, ranging from common domestic dogs and cats to exotic species.
Vet Tech Duties
Veterinary technicians assist the supervising veterinarian in providing high quality care to injured and ill animals. Vet techs must be capable of accurately communicating with the veterinarian and other staff members, in addition to effectively carrying out their duties under the supervision of the vet.
Common duties of a vet tech include the following:
- Working with the veterinarian during surgical procedures, including preparing the room, assisting the veterinarian during the surgery, and caring for the animal after the surgical procedure is complete.
- Vet techs will administer drugs prescribed by the veterinarian and instruct animal owners in how to administer them.
- In many cases, the vet tech will conduct the initial physical and record the information for later use by the veterinarian.
- When injured or ill animals are admitted, the vet tech will provide the first aid needed to stabilize them.
- The vet tech will also interview the animal owners in order to determine the condition of their animal. This often requires a calm and professional manner in order to effectively work with the distraught owners.
- In some cases, vet techs may be employed by veterinary practices working with commercial farms to assist in ensuring that their conditions comply with state and federal law.
Becoming a Certified Veterinary Technician in Montana
Montana does not currently require licensure for veterinary technicians. However, most veterinary practices prefer certified veterinary technicians in order to ensure that the animals under their care receive the best possible treatment.
The primary certification body in Montana is the Big Sky Veterinary Technician Association (BSVTA). The BSVTA ensures that all certified vet techs in Montana have mastered the skills needed to provide a high level of quality care to any animals they are treating.
Requirements for Certification
The BSVTA has several paths to certification, but they all require that the candidates demonstrate competency in the field of veterinary medicine. The BSVTA requires that the candidate be able to effectively document his or her compliance with the specific standards for certification.
Completion of an Accredited Course of Study and VTNE
The most common method to achieve certification is to complete an accredited veterinary technician program and successfully take the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE).
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) provides accreditation services for all American and Canadian vet tech programs. This process ensures that the vet tech program adheres to high standards in its curriculum and the professionalism of its instructors. Furthermore, the AVMA regularly examines accredited schools to ensure that they continue to maintain their standards.
In most cases, a full-time vet tech program will take approximately two years to complete. However, many schools offer part-time and distance learning courses for those students who are incapable of attending the program full time. This helps those who are currently working or who have family obligations to complete the program on a schedule that is compatible with their needs.
After completing the vet tech program, the student must successfully take and pass the VTNE. The VTNE is administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB), and is a comprehensive exam that evaluates every aspect of the candidate’s skills. In order to qualify for certification by the BSVTA the candidate must pass the VTNE with a score of no less than 425.
Certification by Experience
For already employed veterinary technicians, the BSVTA permits certification by experience. These vet techs must be able to document at least five years and have passed the VTNE by December 31, 2006. Vet techs that have not fulfilled those requirements must attend an accredited vet tech program and pass the VTNE even if they are currently working in a veterinary practice.
Certification by Reciprocity
Finally, vet techs that are certified or licensed in another state automatically qualify for certification in Montana. Vet techs intending to move to Montana should ensure that they can properly document their status to the BSVTA.
Certificate Renewal and Continuing Education
The vet tech’s certification must be renewed annually. In addition to paying the renewal fee, a vet tech must take at least 16 credits worth of continuing education every two years. These credits must be from approved sources, so a vet tech should ensure that the BSVTA will accept their continuing education credits before the renewal deadline.
Becoming a certified veterinary technician in Montana is an excellent path to a growing and well-compensated career. In addition, by serving his or her local community, a vet tech will become a highly respected professional. Whether for a newly graduated student or someone who is seeking to transition to a more rewarding career, the field of veterinary technology is an excellent choice.
Vet Tech Schools In MontanaMatching School AdsPenn Foster offers affordable, self-paced career-focused distance education programs in fields like business, criminal justice, health services, technology, engineering, paralegal studies and more.
- Veterinary Assistant
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
[email protected] is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.