Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Delaware
The field of veterinary technology is currently an excellent choice for Delaware residents. The state possesses a growing and vibrant veterinary care sector, providing assistance to private pet owners and businesses alike. Due to this, veterinary technology is an increasingly attractive career for those individuals seeking a well paying and rewarding job.
Becoming a Vet Tech in Delaware
Delaware requires all vet techs to be licensed by the Board of Veterinary Medicine. The requirements for licensure include successfully completing an approved program of veterinary technology, passing the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) and submitting an application to the board.
Vet Tech Programs
Veterinary technology programs instruct the student in the practical and academic aspects of being a vet tech. The program’s courses include studies on veterinary medicine, pharmacology, disease and other subjects that a vet tech will need to know in order to properly perform his or her duties.
In most cases, a vet tech program will take approximately two years for a full-time student to complete. Most programs also offer part-time and distance learning programs for students who are unable to attend regular classes. Part-time classes are often scheduled in the evenings or on the weekend in order to better suit the schedules of students who are currently employed. Distance learning classes allow students to attend most classes online, which can be essential for students who have difficulties commuting to school on a regular basis. However, depending on the program, some courses may include lab or practical experience components that require all students to be physically present.
All vet tech programs must be accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). AVMA accreditation demonstrates that the program adheres to rigorous standards of educational excellence. Most vet tech programs are evaluated on a regular basis and students should make certain that any program they consider is one that is currently accredited.
After completing a vet tech program, the candidate must take the VTNE. This is a comprehensive exam prepared by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB). The AAVSB has designed the exam to test the candidate’s practical and academic qualifications in the field of veterinary technology. Among the subjects tested by the VTNE are the following:
- Pharmacy and pharmacology practices.
- Diagnostic imaging techniques.
- Surgical and surgical assistance procedures.
- Animal care and nursing.
- Laboratory Procedures.
In order to pass the VTNE, the student must have a score of 425 or higher. While it is possible for students to retake the test, the AAVSB will not usually allow a student to take the test more than five times. Other restrictions also apply and the AAVSB may place specific requirements on individual students as a condition for retaking the test. For this reason, it is wise to only take the VTNE when the candidate feels confident he or she can pass it.
Licensure by Reciprocity
Finally, if the candidate has a current license in another state, he or she can submit that information in order to be licensed by reciprocity, where Delaware accepts that the candidate has already completed all requirements needed to practice as a vet tech. This does not free the candidate from having to obtain a Delaware license, but does eliminate the need to enter a vet tech program or take the VTNE.
License Renewal and Continuing Education
The vet tech must renew his or her license ever two years. In addition to paying the renewal fee, the vet tech must complete 12 hours of approved continuing education every two years. In order to ensure that the continuing education hours comply with state requirements, the vet tech should make certain to obtain the current standards for acceptable continuing education courses.
The Benefits of Becoming a Vet Tech
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) currently estimates that the field of veterinary technology will enjoy robust growth, with the number of jobs increasing by 52 percent between 2010 and 2020. In addition, the annual median wage enjoyed by vet techs in Delaware is over $34,000, which is considerably higher than the national median wage. Furthermore, due to the number of job openings, new vet techs will continue to enjoy robust career and salary opportunities. As a result, the field of veterinary technology will continue to be an attractive option for individuals seeking a secure and personally rewarding career.
Vet Tech Schools In DelawareMatching School Ads
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare ManagementPursue your education at Ohio Christian University. Take classes online or on campus. Pursue your degree to help you start the career you want. Learn more now.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Master of Public Health