Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Delaware
The field of veterinary technology is currently an excellent choice for Delaware residents. The state possesses a growing and vibrant veterinary care sector, providing assistance to private pet owners and businesses alike. Due to this, veterinary technology is an increasingly attractive career for those individuals seeking a well paying and rewarding job.
Becoming a Vet Tech in Delaware
Delaware requires all vet techs to be licensed by the Board of Veterinary Medicine. The requirements for licensure include successfully completing an approved program of veterinary technology, passing the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) and submitting an application to the board.
Vet Tech Programs
Veterinary technology programs instruct the student in the practical and academic aspects of being a vet tech. The program’s courses include studies on veterinary medicine, pharmacology, disease and other subjects that a vet tech will need to know in order to properly perform his or her duties.
In most cases, a vet tech program will take approximately two years for a full-time student to complete. Most programs also offer part-time and distance learning programs for students who are unable to attend regular classes. Part-time classes are often scheduled in the evenings or on the weekend in order to better suit the schedules of students who are currently employed. Distance learning classes allow students to attend most classes online, which can be essential for students who have difficulties commuting to school on a regular basis. However, depending on the program, some courses may include lab or practical experience components that require all students to be physically present.
All vet tech programs must be accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). AVMA accreditation demonstrates that the program adheres to rigorous standards of educational excellence. Most vet tech programs are evaluated on a regular basis and students should make certain that any program they consider is one that is currently accredited.
After completing a vet tech program, the candidate must take the VTNE. This is a comprehensive exam prepared by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB). The AAVSB has designed the exam to test the candidate’s practical and academic qualifications in the field of veterinary technology. Among the subjects tested by the VTNE are the following:
- Pharmacy and pharmacology practices.
- Diagnostic imaging techniques.
- Surgical and surgical assistance procedures.
- Animal care and nursing.
- Laboratory Procedures.
In order to pass the VTNE, the student must have a score of 425 or higher. While it is possible for students to retake the test, the AAVSB will not usually allow a student to take the test more than five times. Other restrictions also apply and the AAVSB may place specific requirements on individual students as a condition for retaking the test. For this reason, it is wise to only take the VTNE when the candidate feels confident he or she can pass it.
Licensure by Reciprocity
Finally, if the candidate has a current license in another state, he or she can submit that information in order to be licensed by reciprocity, where Delaware accepts that the candidate has already completed all requirements needed to practice as a vet tech. This does not free the candidate from having to obtain a Delaware license, but does eliminate the need to enter a vet tech program or take the VTNE.
License Renewal and Continuing Education
The vet tech must renew his or her license ever two years. In addition to paying the renewal fee, the vet tech must complete 12 hours of approved continuing education every two years. In order to ensure that the continuing education hours comply with state requirements, the vet tech should make certain to obtain the current standards for acceptable continuing education courses.
The Benefits of Becoming a Vet Tech
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) currently estimates that the field of veterinary technology will enjoy robust growth, with the number of jobs increasing by 52 percent between 2010 and 2020. In addition, the annual median wage enjoyed by vet techs in Delaware is over $34,000, which is considerably higher than the national median wage. Furthermore, due to the number of job openings, new vet techs will continue to enjoy robust career and salary opportunities. As a result, the field of veterinary technology will continue to be an attractive option for individuals seeking a secure and personally rewarding career.
Vet Tech Schools In DelawareMatching School AdsPenn Foster offers affordable, self-paced career-focused distance education programs in fields like business, criminal justice, health services, technology, engineering, paralegal studies and more.
- Veterinary Assistant
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you. Ashford delivers relevant degree programs to you everywhere, any time, with a supportive community where you belong.