Becoming a Qualified Veterinary Technician in Georgia
In today’s economic environment, securing a long-term and well-respected job is the goal of most new graduates, as well as individuals seeking to change professions. Fortunately, becoming a veterinary technician is an excellent method of entering into a highly respected profession with excellent growth prospects.
For those seeking to become a vet tech in Georgia, there are many vet tech schools that can assist them in obtaining the necessary training.
The Duties of a Veterinary Technician
Veterinary technicians assist veterinarians in the performance of their duties, handling responsibilities very similar to the duties a registered nurse would handle for human patients. As such, vet techs will find themselves assisting in a number of procedures, in addition to independently working with animals.
Veterinary technicians also be tasked with interacting with the owners of these pets, which requires them to be both professional and understanding to individuals who may be suffering great stress during their pet’s illness.
Furthermore, they must ensure that they accurately and concisely relay information about the condition of the animal to fellow technicians, supervising veterinarians and veterinary aids, in order to ensure the best possible treatment for the pet.
Veterinary Technicians and Production Animals
After graduating from vet tech schools, many veterinary technicians find themselves working in the farming or commercial animal care industries.
In these cases, part of their duties will involve insuring the health and comfort of production animals such as cows, pigs and horses. This can be especially vital when the condition of the animal directly impacts its value to the owner.
In addition, large numbers of production animals are vulnerable to contagious diseases, requiring a veterinary technician to be able to effectively monitor and quickly respond to signs of an outbreak. Vet tech programs will help train the student in handling both pets and production animals, making them suitable for any type of Georgia veterinary practice.
Finally, the specific duties of a vet tech include the following:
- Monitoring and treating animals to ensure their comfort and health during their treatment.
- The vet tech will conduct initial examinations to provide both baseline medical information and information relating to diseases or injuries suffered by the pet to the supervising veterinarian.
- While a vet tech cannot write prescriptions of drugs to treat an animal, he or she will assist with administering medicine under the direction of a veterinarian. In addition, vet techs will help explain how to administer medications to individuals who are taking their pets home to recover.
- Preparing animals for surgery, assisting the veterinarian during and after the procedure and supervising their postoperative recovery.
- If necessary, securing animals for their safety and the safety of others during their treatment.
- Evaluating exotic animals to determine their condition and the precise nature of any illness or injury. Exotic animals may include snakes, birds, or exotic mammals.
Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Georgia
Becoming a veterinary technician in Georgia requires a number of steps that the candidate must successfully complete before his or her application will be accepted. The candidate must successfully complete a two or four-year course of study at an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited institution. While the two-year course of study is sufficient to become a veterinary technician, some specialties require the successful completion of a four-year study plan.
After successfully completing his or her course work, the graduate must than take and pass a comprehensive examination administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards.
Upon passing this exam and paying the registration costs, the candidate is now considered a registered veterinary technician and is licensed to practice in the state of Georgia.
The Employment Prospects For Veterinary Technicians in Georgia
The rising importance of both the health of family pets and production animals has resulted in strong employment prospects for veterinary professionals. This is especially true for veterinary technicians due to their importance in providing effective veterinary care under the supervision of a veterinarian.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) sees the veterinary technician field as a field that is experiencing above average job growth and is likely to continue to do so for the foreseeable future. In addition, because the field is currently growing at a faster rate than new veterinary technicians are graduating, the demand for graduates of vet tech schools in Georgia is likely to remain high.
Finally, qualified veterinary technicians are well situated to obtain certification for specialties such as surgical veterinary technicians or certified clinical technicians. In fact, many vet tech programs are set up specifically to allow a practicing veterinary technician to go to school part-time while studying to qualify for the new specialty.
This allows Georgia veterinary technicians to continue to improve their education at vet tech schools in Georgia while also increasing their wage earning potential.
Becoming a veterinary technician is not only an effective way to secure a long-term and well-paid career, but to become an important member of a veterinarians office or practice. Veterinary technicians are considered important members of a veterinarian’s office practice and have a high degree responsibility and freedom in how they handle their duties.
Many individuals have deep emotional ties to their pets and are unwilling to see them suffer. A veterinary technician helps the veterinarian to restore beloved pets to their owners, while working to minimize their pain and suffering. By assisting in this service, a vet tech will become a vital and well-respected member of the community.
Veterinary Technician Schools In Georgia
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!