Becoming a Qualified Veterinary Technician in Georgia
In today’s economic environment, securing a long-term and well-respected job is the goal of most new graduates, as well as individuals seeking to change professions. Fortunately, becoming a veterinary technician is an excellent method of entering into a highly respected profession with excellent growth prospects.
For those seeking to become a vet tech in Georgia, there are many vet tech schools that can assist them in obtaining the necessary training.
The Duties of a Veterinary Technician
Veterinary technicians assist veterinarians in the performance of their duties, handling responsibilities very similar to the duties a registered nurse would handle for human patients. As such, vet techs will find themselves assisting in a number of procedures, in addition to independently working with animals.
Veterinary technicians also be tasked with interacting with the owners of these pets, which requires them to be both professional and understanding to individuals who may be suffering great stress during their pet’s illness.
Furthermore, they must ensure that they accurately and concisely relay information about the condition of the animal to fellow technicians, supervising veterinarians and veterinary aids, in order to ensure the best possible treatment for the pet.
Veterinary Technicians and Production Animals
After graduating from vet tech schools, many veterinary technicians find themselves working in the farming or commercial animal care industries.
In these cases, part of their duties will involve insuring the health and comfort of production animals such as cows, pigs and horses. This can be especially vital when the condition of the animal directly impacts its value to the owner.
In addition, large numbers of production animals are vulnerable to contagious diseases, requiring a veterinary technician to be able to effectively monitor and quickly respond to signs of an outbreak. Vet tech programs will help train the student in handling both pets and production animals, making them suitable for any type of Georgia veterinary practice.
Finally, the specific duties of a vet tech include the following:
- Monitoring and treating animals to ensure their comfort and health during their treatment.
- The vet tech will conduct initial examinations to provide both baseline medical information and information relating to diseases or injuries suffered by the pet to the supervising veterinarian.
- While a vet tech cannot write prescriptions of drugs to treat an animal, he or she will assist with administering medicine under the direction of a veterinarian. In addition, vet techs will help explain how to administer medications to individuals who are taking their pets home to recover.
- Preparing animals for surgery, assisting the veterinarian during and after the procedure and supervising their postoperative recovery.
- If necessary, securing animals for their safety and the safety of others during their treatment.
- Evaluating exotic animals to determine their condition and the precise nature of any illness or injury. Exotic animals may include snakes, birds, or exotic mammals.
Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Georgia
Becoming a veterinary technician in Georgia requires a number of steps that the candidate must successfully complete before his or her application will be accepted. The candidate must successfully complete a two or four-year course of study at an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited institution. While the two-year course of study is sufficient to become a veterinary technician, some specialties require the successful completion of a four-year study plan.
After successfully completing his or her course work, the graduate must than take and pass a comprehensive examination administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards.
Upon passing this exam and paying the registration costs, the candidate is now considered a registered veterinary technician and is licensed to practice in the state of Georgia.
The Employment Prospects For Veterinary Technicians in Georgia
The rising importance of both the health of family pets and production animals has resulted in strong employment prospects for veterinary professionals. This is especially true for veterinary technicians due to their importance in providing effective veterinary care under the supervision of a veterinarian.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) sees the veterinary technician field as a field that is experiencing above average job growth and is likely to continue to do so for the foreseeable future. In addition, because the field is currently growing at a faster rate than new veterinary technicians are graduating, the demand for graduates of vet tech schools in Georgia is likely to remain high.
Finally, qualified veterinary technicians are well situated to obtain certification for specialties such as surgical veterinary technicians or certified clinical technicians. In fact, many vet tech programs are set up specifically to allow a practicing veterinary technician to go to school part-time while studying to qualify for the new specialty.
This allows Georgia veterinary technicians to continue to improve their education at vet tech schools in Georgia while also increasing their wage earning potential.
Becoming a veterinary technician is not only an effective way to secure a long-term and well-paid career, but to become an important member of a veterinarians office or practice. Veterinary technicians are considered important members of a veterinarian’s office practice and have a high degree responsibility and freedom in how they handle their duties.
Many individuals have deep emotional ties to their pets and are unwilling to see them suffer. A veterinary technician helps the veterinarian to restore beloved pets to their owners, while working to minimize their pain and suffering. By assisting in this service, a vet tech will become a vital and well-respected member of the community.
Veterinary Technician Schools In Georgia
- Veterinary Assistant
- Grooming Instruction
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Veterinary Assisting
Sanford-Brown can help prepare you for a rewarding career in health and dental care, business, paralegal, criminal justice, Design & Media Arts or information technology. With nearly 20 campuses in the Sanford-Brown Institute and Sanford-Brown College divisions, selecting a school that suits your particular career training and education needs is easy.
- Associate of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology
- Veterinary Assistant
- Phoenix Career Services™ help students find careers that match their interests & map out a personalized career plan.
- Mentorships & networking opportunities available through Alumni Association of 800,000+ graduates.
- Flexible start date and class schedules.
- 100+ locations and online options.
- Offers special military rates and special advisors who have a military background.
- Students can earn credits for applicable military training and education.
Your creativity is a big part of who you are and where you're going. To take it, and your future, as far as you want, you need an education that's focused on developing your talents and putting you on the path toward the creative career that stirs your imagination.
Please Call 855-816-4001 to speak to a customer representative.
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
Westwood College is dedicated to preparing students with the knowledge, skills and training needed for meaningful employment. Through education, we create opportunities, change lives and impact futures.
Ashworth offers respected, affordable online degree programs and expert guidance to help you meet your goals while balancing work and family. Now you can get the precise training you need to become the professional you’ve always wanted to be. And you can go as far as your education takes you.
- Ashworth College
- Veterinary Assisting