The Steps to Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Indiana
In today’s economic environment, securing a long-term and well paying career can be a vital step for any participant in the job market.
Fortunately, whether for new graduates or experienced workers seeking to change careers, vet tech schools can provide an excellent path to a rewarding and well-respected career in veterinary medicine.
The Duties of Veterinarian Technicians
Veterinarian technicians perform a variety of duties in the field of animal care. Depending on the specific practice, the vet tech may find himself or herself working with common pets, exotic animals, lab animals or large farm animals such as pigs and cows.
In some cases, a practice may care for all of these animals, while in other cases, it may specialize in one specific category of animals.
In fact, the only duties that are explicitly forbidden are those specifically defined by Indiana law are requiring a veterinarian. These include acting as a surgeon, issuing a final diagnosis or prognosis, or prescribing medications for the animal.
Becoming a Vet Tech In Indiana
Becoming a veterinary technician in Indiana requires that the candidate meet a variety of requirements, including attending qualified vet tech schools in Indiana that have been properly accredited. While attending these schools, the student will be trained in the wide range of subjects needed to become a successful technician.
While attending these schools, the student will be trained in the wide range of subjects needed to become a successful technician.
In addition, vet tech programs have a variety of courses that allow the student to obtain direct experience with animals.
Requirements For Certification as a Veterinary Technician in Indiana
In order to become a veterinary technician, the candidate must fulfill the following requirements:
- The candidate must have never been convicted of a crime that will impact his or her ability to function as a technician.
- Must be at least 18 years of age, and possessed of either a high school diploma or a GED. In some cases, remedial class work may be required before a candidate can be admitted to the vet tech program.
- The candidate must complete an approved vet tech program. These can either be a two or four-year program, depending on the exact needs of the student and the specialty he or she is seeking.
- Pass a comprehensive exam series, designed to demonstrate the veterinary technician’s skill and ability to effectively function in his or her field.
Upon completing these requirements, and paying the required fees to the State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (SBVME), the candidate will be considered a registered veterinary technician. At that point, the successful candidate can seek out employment as a veterinary technician in Indiana.
Employment and Career Opportunities
As a skilled profession, the employment options for veterinary technicians are extremely promising. Many families consider their pets to be as much a member of the family as they are themselves, and so desire that their companions have the best possible medical care.
In addition, the importance of maintaining the health of farm and food animals makes industrial veterinary medicine a growing and well-compensated field for graduates of vet tech schools.
This has become especially true with the current public concern about the health and comfort of production animals. Many farms have veterinary technicians on staff so their animals can receive immediate care.
Currently, the Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts long-term and above average growth in employment opportunities for veterinary technicians in both urban and rural areas. In fact, the yearly growth in this field is expected to continue to outstrip the annual number of newly graduated veterinary technicians, making employment options even more favorable for newly graduated technicians.
In addition, veterinary technicians have a variety of specialized fields that they can later enter. For example, a qualified technician may return to school in order to be certified as a clinical or surgical veterinary technician. These fields can further improve their wage earning potential in the veterinary field.
Vet tech schools are not simply a gateway to a job, but a means of becoming a respected community professional. The health and well-being of a pet is often a vital consideration for families, and a vet tech is a vital part of the process of ensuring that their treasured family pet remains in good health.
By working alongside other veterinary technicians and veterinarians, a vet tech can become a vital part of his or her community, and provide a service that spares both humans and their companions unneeded pain and suffering.
Veterinary Technician Training In Indiana
- Veterinary Assistant
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.