The Steps to Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Indiana
In today’s economic environment, securing a long-term and well paying career can be a vital step for any participant in the job market.
Fortunately, whether for new graduates or experienced workers seeking to change careers, vet tech schools can provide an excellent path to a rewarding and well-respected career in veterinary medicine.
The Duties of Veterinarian Technicians
Veterinarian technicians perform a variety of duties in the field of animal care. Depending on the specific practice, the vet tech may find himself or herself working with common pets, exotic animals, lab animals or large farm animals such as pigs and cows.
In some cases, a practice may care for all of these animals, while in other cases, it may specialize in one specific category of animals.
In fact, the only duties that are explicitly forbidden are those specifically defined by Indiana law are requiring a veterinarian. These include acting as a surgeon, issuing a final diagnosis or prognosis, or prescribing medications for the animal.
Becoming a Vet Tech In Indiana
Becoming a veterinary technician in Indiana requires that the candidate meet a variety of requirements, including attending qualified vet tech schools in Indiana that have been properly accredited. While attending these schools, the student will be trained in the wide range of subjects needed to become a successful technician.
While attending these schools, the student will be trained in the wide range of subjects needed to become a successful technician.
In addition, vet tech programs have a variety of courses that allow the student to obtain direct experience with animals.
Requirements For Certification as a Veterinary Technician in Indiana
In order to become a veterinary technician, the candidate must fulfill the following requirements:
- The candidate must have never been convicted of a crime that will impact his or her ability to function as a technician.
- Must be at least 18 years of age, and possessed of either a high school diploma or a GED. In some cases, remedial class work may be required before a candidate can be admitted to the vet tech program.
- The candidate must complete an approved vet tech program. These can either be a two or four-year program, depending on the exact needs of the student and the specialty he or she is seeking.
- Pass a comprehensive exam series, designed to demonstrate the veterinary technician’s skill and ability to effectively function in his or her field.
Upon completing these requirements, and paying the required fees to the State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (SBVME), the candidate will be considered a registered veterinary technician. At that point, the successful candidate can seek out employment as a veterinary technician in Indiana.
Employment and Career Opportunities
As a skilled profession, the employment options for veterinary technicians are extremely promising. Many families consider their pets to be as much a member of the family as they are themselves, and so desire that their companions have the best possible medical care.
In addition, the importance of maintaining the health of farm and food animals makes industrial veterinary medicine a growing and well-compensated field for graduates of vet tech schools.
This has become especially true with the current public concern about the health and comfort of production animals. Many farms have veterinary technicians on staff so their animals can receive immediate care.
Currently, the Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts long-term and above average growth in employment opportunities for veterinary technicians in both urban and rural areas. In fact, the yearly growth in this field is expected to continue to outstrip the annual number of newly graduated veterinary technicians, making employment options even more favorable for newly graduated technicians.
In addition, veterinary technicians have a variety of specialized fields that they can later enter. For example, a qualified technician may return to school in order to be certified as a clinical or surgical veterinary technician. These fields can further improve their wage earning potential in the veterinary field.
Vet tech schools are not simply a gateway to a job, but a means of becoming a respected community professional. The health and well-being of a pet is often a vital consideration for families, and a vet tech is a vital part of the process of ensuring that their treasured family pet remains in good health.
By working alongside other veterinary technicians and veterinarians, a vet tech can become a vital part of his or her community, and provide a service that spares both humans and their companions unneeded pain and suffering.
Veterinary Technician Training In Indiana
- Veterinary Assistant
- Earn Your Degree at Fortis College. Flexible Scheduling. Apply Now!
- Dental Assistant Program
- Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
- Dental Assisting
- And more...
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Associate of Applied Science in Medical Clinical Specialties
- Clinical Assistant Diploma with Limited Medical Radiography Diploma
- Limited Medical Radiography Diploma
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Medical Assistant
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)