On Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Kansas – Step By Step
Kansas is a state that currently shows great promise for the field of veterinary medicine. With its mixture of farms, cities and industry, there is a wide variety of businesses and private individuals who require access to effective veterinary care.
For this reason, becoming a registered veterinary technician is an increasingly attractive career goal for those considering work in Kansas.
The Responsibilities and Duties of a Vet Tech
A vet tech works under the supervision of a veterinarian, providing services to help maintain the health and comfort of the animals under his or her care. In many cases, a vet tech also supervises veterinary assistants, volunteers and other individuals working in the veterinarian’s office.
- Administering medication that has been prescribed by the veterinarian. This also includes observing the animal to ensure that there are no adverse reactions.
- Working with the veterinarian and other coworkers to restrain frightened or injured animals so they can be treated without endangering the veterinary workers or further aggravating the animal’s condition.
- Conducting the initial physical for animals in order to provide the veterinarian with basic information on the animal’s condition.
- When critically injured animals are admitted, the vet tech may be required to provide emergency first aid in order to stabilize the animal until the veterinarian can arrive.
- The vet tech may conduct the initial interview with the owners of injured or ill animals, collecting information to assist in developing a program of care. This often requires that the vet tech be able to professionally interact with owners who are agitated and fearful for their pet’s safety.
In addition, some veterinary technicians have obtained further education in order to become qualified to work in certain specialized fields of veterinary medicine.
These fields can include the following:
- Dental care specialists assist in providing effective dental care, which may include removing infected teeth and administering cleaning procedures.
- Veterinary anesthesiologists assist the veterinarian during surgical procedures, administering anesthetic to the animal and monitoring its condition during the surgery.
- Critical care and emergency technicians are trained to effectively assist veterinarians in handling severely injured or ill animals, including animals that have been struck by vehicles or who have ingested poisonous substances.
Educational Requirements for a Veterinary Technician
In order to become a veterinary technician in Kansas, the candidate must meet a variety of educational requirements. All vet techs must complete a study program administered by a school that has been accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). In most cases, this course of study will take two years to complete and include a variety of academic and practical instruction in the field of veterinary technology.
After completing the program, the candidate must take the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE), which evaluates the candidate’s ability to carry out the duties of a veterinary technician. This test is regularly updated in order to ensure that the questions remain current with modern veterinary practice. In order to pass the VTNE, the student must score at least 425 on the test.
Registering With the Kansas Board of Veterinary Examiners
Once the candidate has completed the program and successfully taken the VTNE, he or she must register with the Kansas Board of Veterinary Examiners.
- A photocopy of the diploma the candidate received from the vet tech program he or she completed.
- The test scores from the VTNE will be automatically forwarded to the state board, unless the test was taken in another state, in which case the candidate will have to request that they be forwarded.
- A recent photo of the candidate that can be used for identification purposes.
- The completion of the Kansas exam covering the responsibilities of a vet tech under state and federal law. This is an open book exam that can be retaken, but must be passed before the candidate can be registered.
Finally, unlike many states, Kansas does not require any continuing education credits in order for veterinary technicians to renew their license.
Due to this, once licensed in Kansas, the vet tech only has to continue paying the annual renewal fees for his or her license.
Job Opportunities for Vet Techs
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has confirmed that the vet tech field is one that is enjoying robust growth in both urban and rural areas. With above average job growth forecast through 2020, the field is especially attractive to newly graduated students who are looking for a long-term and rewarding career.
With the growing emphasis on pet care, vet techs in Kansas can expect to become part of a vibrant and socially valued profession. Whether working in a small rural clinic or a large urban veterinary practice, a licensed vet tech can be confident that he or she is providing a real contribution to the health of America’s pets.
Veterinary Technician Programs In Kansas
- Veterinary Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Earn your Bachelor of Science in Public Health - 100% online
- Learn about controlling infectious disease, improving healthcare access, and more
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
WTI's success and longevity is due to its commitment in providing its students with the latest information and technology. It does so by continually upgrading its curriculum, lab instruction and instrumentation, and by collaborating with professionals to keep apprised of industry developments.
- Medical Assistant
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...