All About Becoming a Minnesota Certified Veterinary Technician
In today’s economy, the rising importance of quality veterinary care has made veterinary technicians one of America’s faster growing job categories.
This is especially true in states like Minnesota, where the combination of urban and rural communities have resulted in a wide range of job opportunities for certified veterinary technicians.
For this reason, a growing number of individuals, ranging from those who are seeking their first job to professionals intending to transition to a more rewarding career, have started to investigate what is required to become a veterinary technician.
Certified Vet Techs in Minnesota: the Professional Outlook
Minnesota is a combination of both urban and rural regions, which results in a wide variety of possible employment options for vet techs.
Among the most common employers are rural and urban veterinary practices, ranches and livestock handling farms, and state and federal agencies involved in wildlife management.
Furthermore, the growing importance families and individuals place on the health and welfare of their pets has drastically increased the importance of having local and well-staffed veterinary practices.
This, combined with the need of farms and other commercial enterprises to maintain compliance with state and federal animal care regulations, has drastically increased the number of professional opportunities available to qualified CVTs.
In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) forecasts that the veterinary technician’s profession will enjoy above average growth through 2020. Furthermore, the median wage of this profession is nearly $30,000 per year, making it a highly competitive field.
The Duties of Veterinary Technicians
The veterinary technician undertakes a number of duties under the supervision of a veterinarian.
- A vet tech will assist veterinarians in handling and treating pets and other animals.
- Performing the initial medical examination of the animal and recording the results for later review by the veterinarian.
- Administering medication that has been prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Instructing animal owners in how to administer medication that has been provided by the veterinarian.
- Insuring that all animals currently under the care of the veterinary practice are monitored for changes in their condition.
- Providing first aid to injured or ill pets, in order to stabilize them until a veterinarian can provide long-term care.
- Taking down important information from animal owners, while maintaining a professional and polite attitude.
- CVTs working with livestock will work to ensure their living conditions are conducive to the animal’s health and comfort.
Vet Tech Specialties
In addition to the common duties of vet techs, they may choose to obtain further education and training, and enter into a variety of vet tech specialty fields. These include
These include surgical assistants, internal medicine specialists, and veterinary technician anesthetists. In all cases, these specialties also provide opportunities for increased pay and professional development.
Becoming a Vet Tech in Minnesota
In order to become a certified veterinary technician in Minnesota, the candidate must successfully complete a number of steps, including completing a course of study and successfully passing a number of examinations.
- The student must successfully complete a veterinary technician program at a two-year school that has been accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- After successfully graduating the candidate must then take and pass the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE), with a passing score of no less than 425.
- Apply to the Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association, after having the proof of graduation and passing the VTNE transmitted to the organization.
Other Ways to Become a CVT
For those individuals who have already become a licensed CVT in another state, Minnesota allows them to verify their status.
They must provide their diploma or transcripts from their school to the MVMA. In addition, the state where they are currently practicing must send a notice directly to the MVMA stating that they are currently a CVT in good standing.
However, this does not allow the CVT to practice in Minnesota without applying to the MVMA to become a Minnesota CVT.
In addition, they must comply with all other aspects of Minnesota law regarding CVTs, such as license renewals.
Minnesota CVT Renewal Requirements
Minnesota CVTs much renew their certification every two years, by June 30. They must pay the MVMA a renewal fee, in addition to proving that they have complied with Minnesota’s continuing education (CE) requirements.
In order to qualify for the renewal of their certification, they must complete at least ten CE credits in the two-year period before their certification renewal. The MVMA provides a list of acceptable methods of CE and how many units they will provide for the CVT.
The Benefits of Becoming a CVT
In addition to the material benefits, CVTs play a vital role in their community.
In a time when families demand world-class medical treatment for their pets, a skilled CVT will find him or herself playing a vital role in caring for the beloved companion animals of their neighbors.
This makes the veterinary technician an indispensable part of the Minnesota community, both for today and in the future.
Vet Tech Programs in Minnesota
- Veterinary Assistant
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
[email protected] is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Works closely with an advisory board from the medical community to ensure that their curriculum, equipment and instruction are current and relevant.
- Offers special tuition pricing for Veterans, Active Duty Military and spouses/qualifying dependents of all Active Duty, National Guard and Reserves.
- ABHES-accredited: An advantage upon graduation
- Short-term education: Programs range from 10 months to 2 years
- Blackboard Learn mobile allows students to complete assignments on the go.
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.