Becoming a Veterinary Tech in Nebraska
In today’s economy, finding a reliable and long-term career is an urgent goal for many individuals, whether they are just entering the job market or have decided the time has come to change professions.
Becoming a vet tech can allow the candidate to enter a field that is both financially and personally rewarding.
Vet Tech Duties in Nebraska
Certified veterinary technicians perform a wide variety of duties under the supervision of a veterinarian, in many respects serving the same role that a registered nurse fills at a hospital. Among the common duties are the following:
- Vet techs will help the veterinarian prepare the animal for surgery, ensuring that the surgical equipment is ready before the procedure, assisting the veterinarian during the operation, and replacing and cleaning equipment after the surgery.
- Vet techs assist in the handling of animals during exams, which may require the immobilization of frightened animals in order to ensure the safety of both the animal and the veterinary staff.
- In many cases, vet techs conduct the initial physical for a newly admitted animal and record the results so that the veterinarian can have the information he or she needs for a more in depth examination.
- A vet tech must be able to effectively and professionally interview the owners of animals that have been injured or are ill, even if they are distraught.
- For commercial farms, a vet tech may help conduct tests to ensure that livestock is in good health and conforms to federal and state regulations.
In addition to these duties, vet techs will carry out a variety of duties at the direction of their supervisors. In some cases, a vet tech may help supervise other employees in the veterinarian’s office.
Becoming a Vet Tech in Nebraska
For those individuals who desire to become a vet tech, there are a number of accredited vet tech schools in Nebraska, ranging from community colleges to vocational programs. Nebraska requires that all vet tech programs be accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). This ensures that the vet tech program meets strict educational standards, allowing the students to receive a high quality education.
Types of Vet Tech Programs
Many vet tech programs are provided by community colleges or vocational institutes. In most cases, these programs can take approximately two years for a full-time student. Many programs offer part-time schedules for those students who are currently working or have family requirements that make it impossible for them to carry a full-time course load.
Accredited distance learning programs can allow individuals who cannot physically attend classes to complete their course work. These programs allow the student to work at his or her own pace while preparing to become a vet tech.
The VTNE Exam
After completing the vet tech program, the candidate must take the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE). The VTNE is a comprehensive exam designed to test all aspects of the student’s knowledge, both practical and academic. In order to pass the VTNE, the student must obtain a score of at least 425.
The VTNE is administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB), and is continually updated to ensure that it remains current with the modern practice of veterinary medicine. If the student fails to successfully complete the test, the test may be retaken, but the AAVSB only allows a total of five attempts without special permission. For this reason, a candidate should only take the VTNE when the student is confident that he or she is ready to do so.
Becoming a Certified Veterinary Technician
After taking the VTNE, the candidate must apply to the Nebraska Division of Public Health: Licensure Unit. The candidate must have his or her transcripts and VTNE scores transmitted to the department, as well as filling out an application form and paying the license registration fee. If all the information is complete and accurate, the candidate will then be licensed to practice as a vet tech in Nebraska.
Renewing the Vet Tech Certification
A vet tech’s certification must be renewed every two years. As a part of the requirements for renewal, a vet tech must take at least 16 hours of continuing competency activities that have been approved by the state. It is important that any activities be approved by the state before the deadline for renewal, in order to ensure that the vet tech has fulfilled all of the requirements.
A Nebraska vet tech has entered a growing and vibrant career with abundant opportunities for advancement. Whether the student is newly graduated from high school, or is currently employed in another field, becoming a certified veterinary technician is an excellent method to become a valued professional in the field of veterinary medicine.
Vet Tech Programs In Nebraska[edu-search]vet_tech_school010101082440[/edu-search]
- Veterinary Assistant
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
[email protected] is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.