New Mexico has a vibrant and growing veterinary care sector, due to the state’s combination of rural and urban centers. With an extensive commercial farming and ranching sector, in addition to a wide variety of individuals seeking high quality care for their companion animals, becoming a vet tech in New Mexico is an excellent choice.
The Role of the Vet Tech
Veterinary technicians act as professional assistants to their supervising veterinarian. They are trained to handle a wide variety of duties, assisting the vet in providing high quality care for the animals that are being treated. The most common duties of a vet tech include the following:
- The vet tech provides the veterinarian with the initial evaluation and physical examination for newly admitted animals.
- When injured or ill animals are brought into the practice, the vet tech often provides the initial first aid in order to stabilize the animal for later treatment by the veterinarian.
- The vet tech will assist the veterinarian before, during and after surgical procedures.
- Vet techs are responsible for taking samples of blood and other materials and preparing them to be sent to a lab for testing.
Other Vet Tech Fields
In addition to working in veterinary clinics and practices, there are a number of other fields open to New Mexico vet techs. Many animal welfare groups employee veterinarians and vet techs to provide care for their animals. In addition, state and local wildlife management departments have a need for veterinary professionals to assist in their duties. Finally, zoos and wildlife refuges often employ vet techs in order to provide care for a variety of common and exotic animals.
Becoming a Vet Tech in New Mexico
Only registered vet techs can practice in New Mexico. The New Mexico Board of Veterinary Medicine (NMBVM) is in charge of ensuring that only qualified vet techs are allowed to register.
Registration requires that the candidate complete an approved course of study, pass the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) and take and pass the state licensing exam.
The Veterinary Technician Program
Vet tech programs are offered by a number of organizations, including community colleges and vocational schools. These programs usually take about two years for a full-time student. However, for students who cannot attend classes on a full-time schedule, many programs offer online and part-time schedules. These options allow working students to attend classes in the evenings and on the weekends, allowing them to complete the program without having to leave their current job.
In order to be valid in New Mexico, the program must be accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). The AVMA only accredits programs that adhere to high educational standards, ensuring that any graduates will be well prepared to take the VTNE and work as highly skilled vet techs. Students should make certain that any program they enroll in has been accredited by the AVMA and is currently in good standing.
Taking the VTNE
The VTNE is the nationally accepted exam for veterinary technicians, and is designed and administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB), which works to ensure that the test effectively evaluates the candidate’s academic and practical skills in the field of modern veterinary technology. In order to pass, the candidate must attain a score of at least 425. While most individuals who take the test have graduated from a vet tech program, students who are currently less than six months away from graduation may also take the test.
The State Board Exam
The NMBVM exam is focused on ensuring that the vet tech understands the rights and responsibilities a veterinary technician has when practicing in New Mexico. In order to pass, the candidate must score at least 75 percent on the test. This test is administered directly by the NMBVM, which provides the required study materials for all candidates.
Upon completion of all the above steps and after the candidate has submitted his or her application to the NMBVM, the Board will issue a license to practice as a vet tech in New Mexico. In addition, some states will allow vet techs with a license to practice in New Mexico to become licensed by endorsement, rather than requiring them to repeat the state’s local educational requirements.
Veterinary technology is an extremely promising field, whether for a newly graduated student seeking a long-term and rewarding career or for an older worker seeking to transition from his or her current job. No matter the reason, becoming a registered vet tech in New Mexico can be an excellent decision for the interested individual.
Vet Tech Programs In New Mexico
- Veterinary Assistant
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.