Becoming a Veterinary Technician in New Jersey
In this and the future economy, many individuals are looking for a personally rewarding and well paying career. For these individuals, becoming a veterinary technician can be an attractive option, whether they are high-school graduates, currently working professionals seeking to enter a new field, or even students who have not yet graduated from school.
The veterinary technician’s profession has become common as vet care has become increasingly important to families, many of whom see their pets as cherished personal companions.
Additionally, industries concerned with production animals, such as farms, have emphasized ensuring that their animals are kept healthy and comfortable, a goal that requires extensive veterinary support.
What is a Veterinary Technician
A certified veterinary technician is a professional who assists the veterinarian in caring for pets and production animals in a variety of roles. His or her duties include the following:
- The vet tech must be prepared to administer drugs to conscious and unconscious animals alike, monitor the effect of the medication, and record his or her findings for the veterinarian and other coworkers.
- The vet tech must be prepared to administer emergency first aid to animals who have been admitted with life threatening injuries or conditions. This is especially common in areas where auto-related accidents are common. This first aid is necessary in order to stabilize the pet so that the veterinarian can provide long-term care.
- The vet tech must be able to take samples, ranging from urine and feces to blood or saliva, properly prepare them for testing, and maintain accurate records for later analysis by the supervising veterinarian.
- In some cases, the veterinary technician may be required to assist the veterinarian in preparing animals for surgery, as well as monitoring the animal after the surgical procedure is finished.
- Finally, the veterinary technician must be able to deal with frightened and injured animals in such a way as to protect the veterinary personnel and the animal alike. This may require the animal to be sedated or secured so that it cannot bite or claw the attending personnel.
The veterinary technician must be prepared to carry out all of these duties, while remaining professional and calm, especially in the face of families that are naturally distraught over the injuries or illness to their pet. In some cases, this will include interviewing the owners to obtain the needed information about their pet.
Being able to effectively take down and relay information to the veterinarian is a vital part of the vet tech’s duties.
Requirements to Obtain a New Jersey Veterinary Technician Certification
In New Jersey, veterinary technicians are certified by the New Jersey Veterinary Technicians and Assistants organization (NJVTA), which sets forth the requirements for the candidates to become certified veterinary technicians in New Jersey.
Initially, the student is required to take a two-year course of study at a certified vet tech school in New Jersey, although some veterinary technician programs involve a four-year program. The school providing the courses must be accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), which ensures that all accredited schools adhere to rigorous standards of quality.
Upon completing the course of study, the student must then bake the Veterinarian Technician National Exam (VTNE) and obtain a passing score of at least 425. This test evaluates the candidate’s mastery of the various duties of the veterinary technician in terms of both academic knowledge and practical treatment questions.
After completing these steps and having both the proof of graduation and test scores transmitted to the NJVTA, the student may then apply for certification as a veterinary technician in New Jersey.
Certification Renewal and Continuing Education
Certified New Jersey vet techs must renew their certification every two years. In addition to paying the renewal fee, veterinary technicians must provide proof of at least 20 hours of continuing education (CE), in order to demonstrate their current knowledge of veterinary medicine. This may include conventional class instruction, work experience, or other types of activities that show the vet tech’s current educational status.
Reciprocal Agreements and New Jersey Veterinary Technicians
Finally, candidates who possess a certificate or license in good standing with another state, and have passed the VTNE, may be granted certification by reciprocity by the NJVTA.
It should be noted however, that the reverse may not apply, so certified veterinary technicians in New Jersey intending to practice in another state should verify what, if any requirements they must fulfill in order to obtain certification in that state.
The Benefits of Becoming a Veterinary Technician
Veterinary technicians occupy an important and valued role in the community. In an era where family pets are more treasured than ever, the vet tech will be in a position to assist in the care and relieve the suffering of these beloved companions.
In pragmatic terms, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that the veterinary technician field will see an increase in employment of 52 percent by 2020, which is a rate of increase that is much higher than average. This, coupled with stable long-term employment prospects, makes the profession very attractive in today’s economy.
Especially in cities like Newark, Jersey City or Paterson demand for vet techs will be greater, but even smaller communities have a growing demand as people care more for pets.
Combining meaningful work, security and excellent wages, the veterinary technician is a career that promises great personal satisfaction. Due to this, the veterinary technician is an excellent field for the new graduate and the older worker alike.
Vet Tech Schools And Programs In New Jersey
- Veterinary Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
The Berkeley Advantage®is preparing students for professional and personal successt. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- Certificate in Patient Care Technician
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
- Dental Assisting
- And more...
At American Institute, we believe you can become whatever you want to be, and we’re ready to help you get there. We pride ourselves on working hard to deliver quality, innovative education to our students that gives them the skills to begin or enhance their careers. We try to help our students meet their goals of changing or enhancing their careers, and also help prospective employers of our graduates in meeting the workforce needs of the 21st century while actively participating in the communities we operate within.
- Dental Assisting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)