Vet Techs in North Dakota
Veterinary care in America is a fast growing field that is demanding an increasing number of skilled professional workers. Well-trained veterinary technicians are a vital component of the veterinary care sector, making this field one that has excellent employment and career prospects. This is especially true in North Dakota, which has a wide variety of urban and rural veterinary practices that require the assistance of licensed vet techs.
Becoming a Vet Tech in North Dakota
North Dakota requires that all veterinary technicians be licensed by the state before they can practice. Because of this, vet techs must complete an approved veterinary technology program, take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) and obtain the endorsement of a licensed veterinarian.
Completing a Veterinary Technician Program
Veterinary technology programs are offered by community colleges, vocational schools and some adult education programs. In most cases, a full-time student will complete the program after about two years of study. However, for students who cannot attend classes on a full-time basis, many programs offer part-time and distance learning options that can allow the student to work at his or her own pace.
All programs must be accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). This national organization evaluates vet tech programs and only accredits those that adhere to very high standards of educational quality. A student should ensure that any program he or she is considering entering is accredited by the AVMA.
After completing the vet tech program, the student must then take the VTNE. In some cases, a student who is due to graduate in less than six months may take the VTNE before graduation. The VTNE is a comprehensive test that evaluates the student’s academic and practical skills in the field of veterinary technology. In order to pass the VTNE, the student must score at least 450 on the test.
If the student fails the VTNE, he or she may retake it, but there are limits on when it may be retaken. Additionally, the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) reserves the right to require that the student demonstrate that he or she has made progress towards passing the exam before letting them retake it. Furthermore, the AAVSB generally does not allow a student to retake the test more than five times, making it important that the candidate only take the test when he or she is confident of passing it.
Finally, the North Dakota Board of Veterinary Examiners requires that the vet tech candidate be able to obtain the endorsement of a licensed veterinarian. The candidate should make certain to obtain this endorsement well in advance of submitting the application. North Dakota does not require any further testing, and will issue the license to the vet tech immediately upon receiving a valid application that includes all required records.
Renewing the License
North Dakota requires that all vet techs renew their license every two years. This includes a requirement that the vet tech have taken at least eight hours of continuing education (CE) that has been approved by the Board. Because the vet tech will not be able to renew their license without these CE hours, all vet techs should regularly verify that their CE has been approved before submitting it.
The Practice of Veterinary Technology
Licensed vet techs perform a variety of services for veterinarians, no matter the size or type of the p
ractice. Among their most common duties are the following:
- Evaluating newly admitted animals and providing basic physical and health related information to the veterinarian.
- If injured animals are admitted to the practice, providing the initial first aid to stabilize the animal until the veterinarian can provide long-term treatment.
- Assisting the veterinarian in handling animals during exams and surgical proce
- Managing veterinary aides, clerical workers and other office staff.
- Administering medications that have been prescribed by the veterinarian.
In addition, many vet techs work in wildlife management or state and local humane societies, while farms and ranches often make use of veterinary technicians as part of their livestock management strategies. Finally, zoos and wildlife refuges often employ vet techs for a variety of purposes.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the field of veterinary technology is showing well above average growth through 2020. Furthermore, the median salary for vet techs is very competitive with other fields requiring a similar level of education and licensing. Because of this, whether for an individual seeking to transition to a more rewarding career or a newly graduated student, veterinary technology can be a very attractive field.
Vet Tech Programs In North Dakota[edu-search]vet_tech_school010101082761/US_STATES[/edu-search]Matching School AdsPenn Foster offers affordable, self-paced career-focused distance education programs in fields like business, criminal justice, health services, technology, engineering, paralegal studies and more.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.