On Becoming An Oklahoma Veterinary Technician
The importance of the health and wellbeing of pets and livestock has become a vital concern in modern society, with many families seeing their pets as being just as worthy of world-class care as any other family member.
Due to this, veterinary medicine is a vibrant and growing sector of the economy.
With its mixture of urban and rural zones, as well as a dynamic farming and ranching sector, Oklahoma is especially attractive for those interested in a career as veterinary technicians.
The Role of the Vet Tech
Veterinary technicians assist the veterinarian in providing care to pets and other animals. In many respects, the vet tech carries out many of the same duties a registered nurse does.
- A vet tech will carry out and record the results of the initial examination of any animal that has been admitted to the veterinarian’s office.
- While animals are staying at the practice, a veterinary technician will supervise and observe them to monitor any changes in their health.
- The vet tech will assist the veterinarian during surgical and medical procedures.
- The vet tech may administer vaccinations and other medication that has been prescribed by the veterinarian.
- If an animal is admitted while suffering from injuries or other critical conditions, the vet tech may administer first aid in order to stabilize the animal until the veterinarian can treat it.
- A vet tech will instruct animal owners in how to care for those animals that are being sent home, including demonstrating how to effectively administer medication to the animal.
Becoming a Vet Tech
In order to become a vet tech the candidate must have graduated from high school, be at least 18 and complete a course of study at an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited school.
In most cases, these are two-year programs, but four-year program also exist. Both part-time and full-time schedules are available for students, with many working adults studying part time.
For those individuals who are unable to directly attend vet tech schools in Oklahoma due to work or family demands, there are online vet tech schools that are fully accredited and that can be used to fulfill the educational requirements needed in order to become a certified veterinary technician in Oklahoma.
The VTNE and SVTE Tests
After graduating, the candidate must then take two tests in order to qualify to become a certified veterinary technician. These tests are the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) and the State Veterinary Technician Exam (SVTE)
The VTNE is a national test administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB), which help design and prepare the test to ensure that it effectively evaluates the candidate’s skills. In Oklahoma, a passing score of at least 70 is required.
Without special permission, the AAVSB limits how many times a candidate may retake the test to a total of five times, so students should be certain that they are ready to take the VTNE successfully.
After taking the VTNE, the SVTE must also be passed with a score of at least 70. This test evaluates the candidate’s understanding of how the laws of Oklahoma relate to the practice of veterinary medicine. It is especially important that veterinary technicians understand how these laws impact their duties and rights in Oklahoma.
Licensing and Renewal
Once all these requirements have been met, the candidate can be licensed by the Oklahoma State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and may practice as a certified veterinary technician.
It is vital that the candidate carefully review the application and ensure that all information is up to date, as incomplete or inaccurate applications may result in the certification being denied until the errors are rectified.
Finally, certified vet techs must renew their certification annually. In addition to paying a renewal fee, a vet tech must be able to demonstrate he or she has received at least ten hours of continuing education from an approved source. This is to ensure that the vet tech remains current with the modern state of veterinary medicine.
Working as a Vet Tech
The Bureau of Labor Statistics has stated that the veterinary technician’s profession is growing rapidly. In fact, this profession is likely to expand at a far greater rate than many other careers until at least 2020.
With a median yearly pay of almost $30,000 the field is very promising for newly graduated students or older professionals seeking to change careers.
Veterinary technician is a career that is both financially and emotionally rewarding for the worker. Vet tech schools in Oklahoma can help the student take the first steps towards becoming an effective veterinary technician.
Vet Tech Programs In Oklahoma
- Veterinary Assistant
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Practical Nursing-(AOS) [LPN]
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
WTI's success and longevity is due to its commitment in providing its students with the latest information and technology. It does so by continually upgrading its curriculum, lab instruction and instrumentation, and by collaborating with professionals to keep apprised of industry developments.
- Medical Assistant
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...