On Becoming An Oklahoma Veterinary Technician
The importance of the health and wellbeing of pets and livestock has become a vital concern in modern society, with many families seeing their pets as being just as worthy of world-class care as any other family member.
Due to this, veterinary medicine is a vibrant and growing sector of the economy.
With its mixture of urban and rural zones, as well as a dynamic farming and ranching sector, Oklahoma is especially attractive for those interested in a career as veterinary technicians.
The Role of the Vet Tech
Veterinary technicians assist the veterinarian in providing care to pets and other animals. In many respects, the vet tech carries out many of the same duties a registered nurse does.
- A vet tech will carry out and record the results of the initial examination of any animal that has been admitted to the veterinarian’s office.
- While animals are staying at the practice, a veterinary technician will supervise and observe them to monitor any changes in their health.
- The vet tech will assist the veterinarian during surgical and medical procedures.
- The vet tech may administer vaccinations and other medication that has been prescribed by the veterinarian.
- If an animal is admitted while suffering from injuries or other critical conditions, the vet tech may administer first aid in order to stabilize the animal until the veterinarian can treat it.
- A vet tech will instruct animal owners in how to care for those animals that are being sent home, including demonstrating how to effectively administer medication to the animal.
Becoming a Vet Tech
In order to become a vet tech the candidate must have graduated from high school, be at least 18 and complete a course of study at an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited school.
In most cases, these are two-year programs, but four-year program also exist. Both part-time and full-time schedules are available for students, with many working adults studying part time.
For those individuals who are unable to directly attend vet tech schools in Oklahoma due to work or family demands, there are online vet tech schools that are fully accredited and that can be used to fulfill the educational requirements needed in order to become a certified veterinary technician in Oklahoma.
The VTNE and SVTE Tests
After graduating, the candidate must then take two tests in order to qualify to become a certified veterinary technician. These tests are the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) and the State Veterinary Technician Exam (SVTE)
The VTNE is a national test administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB), which help design and prepare the test to ensure that it effectively evaluates the candidate’s skills. In Oklahoma, a passing score of at least 70 is required.
Without special permission, the AAVSB limits how many times a candidate may retake the test to a total of five times, so students should be certain that they are ready to take the VTNE successfully.
After taking the VTNE, the SVTE must also be passed with a score of at least 70. This test evaluates the candidate’s understanding of how the laws of Oklahoma relate to the practice of veterinary medicine. It is especially important that veterinary technicians understand how these laws impact their duties and rights in Oklahoma.
Licensing and Renewal
Once all these requirements have been met, the candidate can be licensed by the Oklahoma State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and may practice as a certified veterinary technician.
It is vital that the candidate carefully review the application and ensure that all information is up to date, as incomplete or inaccurate applications may result in the certification being denied until the errors are rectified.
Finally, certified vet techs must renew their certification annually. In addition to paying a renewal fee, a vet tech must be able to demonstrate he or she has received at least ten hours of continuing education from an approved source. This is to ensure that the vet tech remains current with the modern state of veterinary medicine.
Working as a Vet Tech
The Bureau of Labor Statistics has stated that the veterinary technician’s profession is growing rapidly. In fact, this profession is likely to expand at a far greater rate than many other careers until at least 2020.
With a median yearly pay of almost $30,000 the field is very promising for newly graduated students or older professionals seeking to change careers.
Veterinary technician is a career that is both financially and emotionally rewarding for the worker. Vet tech schools in Oklahoma can help the student take the first steps towards becoming an effective veterinary technician.
Vet Tech Programs In Oklahoma
- Veterinary Assistant
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
[email protected], the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
- Online MHA Concentration in Population Management
- Online MHA Concentration in Senior Services
- Online General MHA
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Master of Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Science
- And more...
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Medical Assistant/Phlebotomy
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
WTI's success and longevity is due to its commitment in providing its students with the latest information and technology. It does so by continually upgrading its curriculum, lab instruction and instrumentation, and by collaborating with professionals to keep apprised of industry developments.
- Medical Assistant
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management