Becoming a Vet Tech in South Carolina
Today’s veterinary medical sector is continuing to enjoy sustained growth. With many families considering the health of their companion animals to be vital, the importance of high quality and available vet care is greater than ever. Because of this, becoming a licensed South Carolina veterinary technician is an excellent career choice for many individuals.
Vet Techs in South Carolina
As a state with a mixture of rural and urban regions, South Carolina has a variety of employment options for qualified veterinary technicians. In addition to the need for veterinary care for pets, there is a large commercial farming and ranching sector that requires effective care for its livestock.
Currently, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that veterinary technician jobs will continue to expand at a rate well above average through 2020. As of 2011, South Carolina employed over 1,000 vet techs with a median annual wage of nearly $30,000.
Becoming a Vet Tech in South Carolina
Vet techs are licensed by the South Carolina Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (SCBVME). The Board has established the following requirements for those wishing to qualify as a veterinary technician:
- Complete a vet tech program at an institution that has been accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
- Verification that the individual has passed the Veterinary Technicians National Examination (VTNE).
- Passage of the South Carolina vet tech jurisprudence exam.
- Verification of licensure in those states, if any, where the candidate is already licensed to practice as a vet tech may substitute for the VTNE, depending on the nature of the license.
Vet Tech Programs
A vet tech program is a program that instructs the candidate in the academic and practical aspects of a vet tech’s duties. In most cases, a full-time student will complete his or her program in about two years. For those individuals who cannot attend a full-time program, many institutions offer part-time classes, often scheduled in the evenings or on weekends in order to accommodate working students. Finally, some schools also allow online programs that can allow the student to complete most of the program while working from home, which is extremely useful for those individuals who find traveling to school difficult.
All approved vet tech programs are accredited by the AVMA. This organization ensures that the program and faculty meet strict professional standards and are capable of providing the students with an effective education in the field of veterinary technology. Schools are periodically reviewed by the AVMA, so a student should ensure that his or her school is currently accredited by the AVMA.
Taking the VTNE
The VTNE is a comprehensive exam that all aspects of the vet tech’s academic, professional and practical skills. The VTNE is administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB). The AAVSB regularly revises the VTNE so that it remains up to date with the modern state of veterinary medicine.
In order to pass the VTNE, the candidate must score at least 425 on the test. While a candidate can repeat the test, a candidate cannot repeat the test more than five times without specific approval by the AAVSB. Furthermore, the AAVSB reserves the right to demand that the candidate fulfill other requirements before he or she retakes the test. For this reason, candidates should be certain that they are fully prepared before taking the VTNE.
The State Exam
The jurisprudence exam is not focused on the candidate’s professional qualifications, but their understanding of how South Carolina law impacts the practice of veterinary technology. This test is administered by the SCBVME, and the candidate must pass it in order to be licensed to practice in the state. This test can be retaken if the candidate fails to pass it.
Becoming a vet tech opens a variety of promising career and salary options. In addition, the field of veterinary medicine is one that allows the vet tech to become a respected member of the community as he or she works to assist families who need to care for their beloved companion animals. No matter the location or type of practice, veterinary technology is a personally and professionally rewarding career choice.
Veterinary Tech Programs In South CarolinaMatching School Ads
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Available programs include A.S. in Medical Assisting, A.S. in Occupational Therapy Assistant, and A.S. in Physical Therapist Assistant.
- Program topics include communication skills, administration & clinical procedures, medical terminology, and medical law and ethics.
- Health & Medical Assistant programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Public Health (MPH)Locations: Savannah
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- CERT Medical Assisting
- AAS Medical AssistingLocations: Asheville
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Medical AssistantLocations: Columbia
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- AOS Medical Assisting - Management Concentration
- AOS Medical Assisting - Clinical Concentration
- Medical Assistant CertificateLocations: Columbia