A vital part of the veterinary medical sector is having a reliable supply of qualified veterinary technicians. Especially in today’s economy, the veterinary technician offers the promise of a long-term and rewarding career for new graduates and older workers seeking to enter into a new career alike.
Becoming a Veterinary Technician in Kentucky
Becoming a vet tech in Kentucky requires several steps. The candidate must be able to demonstrate that he or she is capable of effectively working as a vet tech and can provide a high level of service to animals and customers alike.
The following steps are mandatory for anyone wishing to become a vet tech in Kentucky.
- The candidate must have graduated from high school, or have a valid Graduate Equivalency Diploma (GED), demonstrating their basic academic skills.
- Any vet tech candidate must enter into and successfully complete a two or four-year veterinary course, or an equivalent course of study that will be considered valid in Kentucky. Students should check with the Kentucky Board of Veterinary Examiners if they have any questions about their particular program.
- Any vet tech school the student attends should be a school that has been accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). This is especially important for any student who may be considering moving out of Kentucky at any later date, as many states only accept degrees conferred by accredited schools.
- The vet tech candidate must take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE), and receive a passing score of at least 425.
The Final Steps to Becoming a Licensed Veterinary Technician
Unlike some states, Kentucky does not license veterinary technicians until they are working for a licensed veterinarian in Kentucky.
Due to this, the final step involves becoming employed by a licensed veterinarian. After that, the vet can send a letter to the Kentucky Board of Veterinary Examiners, informing them that the candidate is currently working for him or her.
Once all other required information is sent to the board, the student may then become a licensed veterinary technician.
Renewing a Kentucky Veterinary Technician’s License
Every September 30, all Kentucky veterinary technicians must renew their licenses. Failure to do so can lead to the revocation of the right to practice in Kentucky, late fees or other penalties. In addition to the renewal fee, the veterinary technician must complete at least 6 hours of approved continuing education (CE) every year.
This education must be submitted for approval in advance and generally involves either class work or practical experience demonstrating that the vet tech is up to date with the current state of veterinary medicine.
Finally, the state requires that all renewals be accompanied by the identity of the vet the veterinary technician is currently working under. Veterinary technicians who are not currently employed by a vet cannot renew their license.
The Duties of a Veterinary Technician
Kentucky has strict regulations about what a veterinary technician can do, and in general restricts them to working under the supervision of a veterinarian.
However, they have a wide range of duties where they assist the veterinarian or other coworkers in the performance of their duties.
Among these duties are the following:
- The vet tech will assist in the provision of emergency first aid for injured or ill animals, in order to stabilize their condition so that a long-term treatment can be administered by the veterinarian.
- Many veterinary technicians will assist their supervisor in preparing animals for surgery. In some cases, they will serve as assistants during the surgery. Finally, after the surgical procedure is completed, the vet tech will be tasked with monitoring the animal’s condition and making regular reports to the veterinarian.
- The vet tech will administer medication under the direction and orders of the veterinarian. In addition, when working with the owners of various animals, the vet tech may be required to instruct them in how to effectively administer the drugs that are sent home with the animal.
- The vet tech will work with his or her coworkers to complete those duties that are ordered by the veterinarian.
- Under Kentucky law, a vet tech cannot diagnose or prescribe treatments or medication, nor can he or she independently conduct most surgical procedures.
Employment Options for Vet Techs
With a growing demand for high quality care for pets and livestock alike, the field of veterinary technology is currently showing strong growth across the United States.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that veterinary technicians can expect well above average job growth at least until 2020. Furthermore, the nature of this profession ensures that veterinary technicians will be well respected by their community, providing a strong sense of fulfillment in addition to the other benefits of becoming a veterinary technician.
In today’s economy, becoming a veterinary technician provides a number of opportunities for the interested candidate. Whether the individual is a high school student who is close to graduation and considering their adult career, or an adult who is seeking to transition to a more financially and personally rewarding career, becoming a veterinary technician is an ideal career option.
List Of Vet Tech Schools In Kentucky
- Veterinary Assistant
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Earn your Bachelor of Science in Public Health - 100% online
- Learn about controlling infectious disease, improving healthcare access, and more
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.