Veterinary technicians are becoming an increasingly important component of the veterinary care sector. By assisting veterinarians in their duties, the vet tech can drastically improve the level of care provided to domestic pets and livestock alike.
By assisting veterinarians in their duties, the vet tech can drastically improve the level of care provided to domestic pets and livestock alike.
Especially in states such as Oregon, where both companion animals and livestock are present, employment opportunities for certified vet techs are extremely promising.
Vet Techs and the Job Market In Oregon And Nationwide.
Due to the rising importance many individuals place on high quality veterinary care for their pets, the demand for certified vet techs continues to grow.
In addition to rural and urban veterinary practices, vet techs may find employment in the farming and ranching sector, private and government humane societies, animal control agencies, and wildlife management agencies.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics currently predicts that this field will grow by at least 52 percent between 2010 and 2020, which is considerably higher than the average for other fields with equivalent educational requirements. Oregon
Oregon employs over 1400 vet techs, with an annual median wage of over $30,000. This makes an Oregon vet tech career extremely promising for newly graduated candidates and older workers alike.
Becoming an Oregon Vet Tech
The Oregon Veterinary Medical Examiner Board (OVMEB) controls the licensure of vet techs in the state, and has established the requirements that every student must fulfill in order to become a certified vet tech.
- Graduation from an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited vet tech program.
- Alternately, on the job training with a licensed Oregon veterinarian may be substituted for academic schooling. However, there are strict guidelines that apply to this certification method so the OVMEB should be consulted before hand.
- Successfully complete the Oregon jurisprudence exam/regional disease test.
The first step most students will take is to complete an accredited vet tech program.
Veterinary technician schools in Oregon must be accredited with the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) in order for the course work to count towards completion of the state requirements.
The AVMA is a national organization which ensures that all programs are as effective as possible in preparing their students for the duties and challenges in the vet tech field.
AVMA accredited programs are available from community colleges and vocational schools alike. Depending on the program and the student’s schedule, they can range in duration from several months to two years or more.
Most schools also have provisions for students who are working, and can only attend school part-time. In some cases, a school may also have provisions for online classes, allowing the student to learn at his or her own pace without having to physically attend classes.
After successfully completing a vet tech program, the student must next take and pass the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE). The VTNE is administered and prepared by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB).
The VTNE is designed to evaluate the student’s academic and practical knowledge regarding the vet tech’s duties, as well as the underlying principles of veterinary medicine. The ASVSB continually updates the VTNE to ensure that it remains up to date with the modern state of veterinary medicine.
If the vet tech is licensed to practice in another state, and has had at least 7,500 hours of experience, as well as having graduated from an AVMA accredited college before 1990, the technician may request that the state allow him or her to waive taking the VTNE. In this case, the vet tech should immediately contact the state to determine what type of documentation he or she will have to provide.
The State Jurisprudence and Regional Disease Test
For those students who have successfully passed the VTNE, the state requires that they also take a state jurisprudence and regional disease test. This test is designed to ensure that the candidate is fully aware of how the law interacts with the practice of veterinary medicine in Oregon. This is especially important for vet techs, who must be aware of their professional obligations as certified veterinary technicians.
Upon successfully completing these steps and providing the state with all the required documentation, the veterinary technician will be certified to practice in Oregon. Certified vet techs must renew their license every two years.
In addition to the renewal fee, the state requires that all vet techs complete at least 15 hours of continuing education (CE) from approved sources over the course of the two years.
In today’s economy, becoming a certified veterinary technician can be a gateway to a secure and well-compensated career. As an Oregon CVT, certified vet techs will find themselves becoming a vital part of the state’s veterinary care sector, or find employment in neighboring states, Washington or California where demand, too, is growing.
Oregon Vet Tech Programs
- Veterinary Assistant
Altierus is a non-profit, higher educational school system with 21 campuses in 11 states, operated as Altierus Career College or Career Education. And being a student here is different. Because we don't see you as just a student. We see you as an individual within our community with your own reasons for being here.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Associate of Applied Science - Medical Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...